Very often we hear about dehydration, which can occur as a result of a number of diseases.But not everyone knows what are its symptoms, and what it can lead.Let's understand this concept.
Under dehydration refers to excessive loss of body water.It occurs when the body fluid is insufficient.Symptoms of dehydration include a fever, dizziness, shock, the occurrence of diarrhea, nausea and vomiting, muscle cramps, skin yellowish purchase.As a result, people may die.
Why is dehydration
dehydration may be encountered at any age, but it is most dangerous for children and the elderly.Treatment of dehydration is performed individually, under the supervision of a physician.Our bodies need a certain amount of fluid every day need to consume at least 1 liter of water.Fluid requirement depends on how active a person of age.More active people need 2-3 liters of fluid every day.
dehydration can cause gastrointestinal disease.Through the intestine can leave excessive amounts of liquid in the case where the viruses or bacteria affect it, whereby there is diarrhea.Increased fluid loss may be associated with taking drugs.
probability of dehydration in the elderly increases if:
- they consume insufficient amount of liquid;
- poor kidney function;
- having trouble getting up from his chair;
- have difficulty, pain, or when visiting the toilet or bathtub;
- they are taking medications that increase the risk of dehydration.
Signs and symptoms of dehydration
serious signs of dehydration is a significant reduction in weight.Losing weight can be up to several kilograms in a few days.It is considered a heavy rapid weight loss, which is more than 10% of the total weight of the person.
Sometimes it is difficult to distinguish the symptoms of dehydration from the symptoms of other diseases, but overall, the most common symptoms include:
- increase in thirst;
- occurrence of dry mouth;
- feeling of weakness or slight dizziness;
- cloudy urine color;
- reduction urination.
In severe dehydration may occur changes in the chemical balance of the body, there may be kidney failure, which is dangerous to human life.
For the first signs of dehydration include:
- appearance of dryness in the mouth and sticky saliva;
- appearance of dark shade of urine;
- urination in small amounts;
- appearance of weakness, apathy, irritation;
- cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea.
measures to combat dehydration
best way to treat dehydration considered to prevent its occurrence.Depending on the degree of fluid loss may intravenous or oral administration of the liquid.World Health Organization (WHO) has developed oral solution, which contains sugar, which improves the absorption of salt / water.Thanks to this solution were saved the lives of many people in remote areas of the world.The solution can be prepared at home, for it is necessary to mix the following ingredients: ¾ tspsalt, 4 tbspsugar, 1 tbsp.of orange juice, 1 tbsp.water. resulting drink small sips taken in small quantities, there may be nausea and vomiting.
Dehydration in children
Dehydration in children can occur for the following reasons:
- lack of water in the body;
- a result of not fully formed baby's immune system, which is unable to fight bacteria and infection, thereby increasing the risk of diarrhea and vomiting;
- poor health, resulting in a child's loss of appetite.
diagnosis of dehydration can be supplied only by a physician.But the parents may notice the first signs of the obvious: the emergence of the feeling of dry mouth, sunken eyes, no tears, no sweat, reduced urination.
What to do when a child dehydration
- If dehydration occurred due to diarrhea, the child should be given an additional amount of liquid during a meal for 4, 6 hours after stool.When you save the diarrhea should see a doctor;
- If a child has diarrhea with mild dehydration, you need to give him to drink more fluids (oral solution).The dosage should be determined by a physician;
- If moderate to severe dehydration it is necessary to examine the child to a medical facility.In case of mild dehydration treatment is performed in an oral form.In the case of severe dehydration requires intravenous infusion.