Mostly rheumatism, or acute rheumatic fever encountered in childhood.For the disease characterized by inflammation and severe pain in the joints, inflammation of the tissues of the heart, in which there is a risk of acquired heart disease.The primary cause of rheumatic fever is an infection caused by the bacterium Streptococcus.As a rule, the development of rheumatic fever occurs a few weeks after a person has been transferred angina or pharyngitis.Methods of diagnosis of rheumatic fever are based on various studies.
If you find yourself in the symptoms of rheumatic fever, which is usually primarily represented by fever, inflammation and severe pain in the joints, you should immediately go to the doctor.Physician will be asked to facilitate the diagnosis of the disease, then they are assigned additional tests to confirm the diagnosis:
- perform blood count.In the case of acute rheumatic fever show increased white blood cell count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate;
- implementation of biochemical analysis of blood, which is used to determine the level of C-reactive protein.It is usually elevated in the case of rheumatic fever and some other diseases;
- blood test to level antistreptolysin Oh, by which the physician can check the availability of antibodies against Streptococcus.If high levels of antibodies, it testifies to the recent transfer of the patients with infections caused by group A streptococcus;
- perform electrocardiography (ECG) during an attack of acute rheumatic fever, by means of what is possible to detect disorders of the heart, rheumatic heart disease occurring during;
- holding chest X-ray, which is used to determine the size of the heart.Typically, patients with rheumatic heart is enlarged;
- perform ultrasound of the heart, by which a doctor determines the size of the cavities of the heart, the direction of blood flow in the cavities of the heart and major blood vessels, or damage valves.With the help of ultrasound may identify heart defects.
Thus, the diagnosis of rheumatic fever is carried out on the basis of laboratory and instrumental methods.
main symptoms of rheumatism
The main symptoms of rheumatic fever are the occurrence of inflammation and severe joint pain, weakness, shortness of breath, skin rash, fever, and others. Particularly dangerous rheumatic inflammation of the heart, which may be complicated by damage to the heart valves and developmentAcquired heart disease.
The special features of rheumatic fever include:
- inflammation of the large joints: the knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, wrist joints and so on. The joints are affected symmetrically: for example, at the same time inflamed both knees;
- rapid development of inflammation of the joints, which in some cases can be several hours.In the joint skin becomes swollen, red, hot to the touch;
- shackling movements of the joints due to the occurrence of severe pain;
- without treatment within a week possible independent subsided inflammation of the joints.But this is not possible the development of inflammation in other major joints.In general, the duration of an attack of rheumatic fever is 4-5 weeks;
- occurrence of shortness of breath, palpitations, feelings of disruption of the heart, weakness, dizziness, chest pain.In rheumatoid arthritis inflammation of the heart can occur quickly, they may not cause any symptoms, and the disease is detected in conducting a thorough medical examination;
- development disorders of coordination, involuntary movements of the arms and legs twitching of facial muscles;
- reddish appearance of skin rash, which may be discharged into the rings, fancy shapes;
- occurrence of subcutaneous nodules, having a dense texture.At the touch they are painless.The nodules disappear on their own within a few weeks after the appearance.