Primary liver cancer develops from cells of hepatic structures unnoticed, the symptoms are non-specific, rapid course of the disease.Related to this is the fact that the disease is often diagnosed only in the late stages.Secondary liver cancer - a tumor metastasis or tumor invasion of the other body.
Primary liver cancer is a relatively rare disease.According to statistics, this kind of disease is only 0.2 - 3% of all cancers.Primary liver cancer is found in 30 - 40 times less than metastatic.The disease catches up with men 4 times more often than women.Neoplasms may arise at any age, it most often appear between the ages of 50 - 65 years.Neoplasms men are malignant in 90% of cases, and women only 40% of all malignant tumors in the percentage of the disease.
Often patients go to the doctor only a few months after the onset of symptoms.Approximately 75% of patients complain of abdominal pain, weight loss and a sharp decrease in appetite.Approximately half of the patients with liver cancer find themselv
predisposition to liver cancer is hepatitis B (80% of hepatoma).The risk of hepatocellular cancer occurs 200 times more frequently in carriers of the virus.Patients with hepatocellular carcinoma in 60 - 90% of liver cirrhosis is detected.
Excessive amounts of iron in the body (hemochromatosis), hepatitis, cholelithiasis, diseases caused by parasites (intestinal worms), as well as alcoholism and syphilis contribute to the development of liver cancer.
Just as all other cancers, cancer of the liver can be caused as a result of carcinogenic impact on the body.
Symptoms of liver cancer in the early stages
- In the initial stages of liver cancer appear different dyspepsia (reduction and loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting) and malaise.
- dull, aching pain and heaviness in the right hypochondrium, fever.The prevailing weakness, weight loss and anemia (85% incidence).
- increased body temperature, but often it does not exceed 38 degrees.This is due to cancer intoxication.
- may experience a decrease in blood sugar, and increased cholesterol.The decrease in blood sugar leading to weakness, reduced activity, lethargy and confusion.Perhaps a sharp decline in sugar and accompanying symptoms such as a hypoglycemic crisis, which can later become a hypoglycemic coma.
Common symptoms of liver cancer
- observed for several weeks enlargement of the liver (88%).The liver can become lumpy or smooth and acquire woody density.Painful tumor formation can be felt in 50% of cases.
- In 60% of cases are gradually showing signs of liver failure, there is an increase of jaundice.But the jaundice is not a constant symptom and often poorly expressed.Jaundice may occur as a result of compression of the biliary tract tumor or due to a pronounced cancer intoxication.
- Due to the stagnation of blood in the abdominal cavity may occur an increase in the abdomen, a symptom characteristic of tumors in the liver.There is the symptom is very rare.
- 10 - 15% of patients undergoing intra-abdominal bleeding occurs and development of shock.Tumor cells can produce hormone-cells, which in turn causes endocrinological disorders throughout the body.
- With the development of liver cancer on a background of cirrhosis symptoms of cancer.The patient's condition worsens, exacerbated pain in the right upper quadrant, there jaundice, ascites, fever, appear nosebleeds and skin telangiectasia.
- liver cancer metastases are often found in the liver, the lymph nodes of the porta hepatis and other organs that are located near the liver.
symptoms of metastatic liver cancer
Secondary or metastatic malignant tumors account for 90% of all malignant tumors of the liver.The liver is the first among the rest of the localization of metastatic cancer.Often metastasis passes through the portal vein, hepatic artery and over.Statistically cancer metastases to the liver are found in a ratio:
- 50% of cases of pancreatic cancer metastasis;
- 20 - 50% of colorectal cancer;
- 35% of metastasis of gastric cancer;
- 30% metastases of breast cancer;
- 25% of metastatic cancer of the esophagus.
Symptoms of metastatic (secondary) tumor is determined by the primary tumor processes.
diagnose secondary liver cancer is possible by means of ultrasound (US), computed or magnetic resonance tomography and laparoscopy with biopsy method.The basic method of treatment of metastatic liver cancer, with the proviso that a single metastasis, is a surgical intervention.