epilepsy - a disease which affects some children experiencing abnormal discharges in the brain.As a result of such discharges for some time broken motor, sensory and mental functions of the child's body.
Typical symptoms of epilepsy in children
In children with epilepsy, a seizure is a collection of the following symptoms:
1. stop short of breath;
2. increase in temperature;
3. loss of consciousness for a while;
4. involuntary urination and defecation;
5. convulsions from 1.5 to 20 minutes;
6. tense muscles, followed by straightening the knee and elbow flexion.
seizure, a child may also occur in the form of atopic attack with loss of consciousness and muscle relaxation.Such an attack is easily mistaken for a simple faint.
In some cases, a seizure can occur without loss of consciousness, and inexperienced parents are unable to identify with your child's epilepsy.Such attacks occur with the appearance of the following symptoms:
1. child abrupt halt in mid-sentence or termination of traff
2. fixed stare;
3. the absence of any reaction of the child to the adult appeal to him;
4. at the end of the attack the child returns to suspend classes, is not aware of what happened to him a moment ago.
This form of epilepsy is common in children 6-7 years of age, particularly in girls.As children get older seizures are becoming less and, in the end, full stop.However epilepsy with age can be transformed into a different form of the disease.
Causes of epilepsy in children
Most often suffer epileptic children whose development is at the stage of pregnancy was accompanied by hypoglycemia and hypoxia.When complications during childbirth, which caused oxygen starvation of the brain in newborn, increases the risk of seizures in children.
Symptomatic causes of epilepsy in children include such deviations in the development of the body, like bleeding in the brain, cysts, tumors and other lesions that can be detected by examination of the brain.Head trauma in 5-10% of the causes of epilepsy in children.If a strong contusion can occur post-traumatic epilepsy.
Epilepsy develops due to the formation in the brain of the child's areas of increased excitability.This is possible after suffering encephalitis or meningitis.Frequently recurring colds, where the child is suffering from a high temperature, can also lead to the development of epilepsy.
hereditary factor in the development of epilepsy is very strong.If one of the parents suffered from this disease, there is a high probability of occurrence of epilepsy in children.
first help the child during an epileptic fit
If a child is sick with epilepsy, his parents should be able to provide it with emergency aid:
1. as soon as the child has seizures, should put it on the floor or a wide bed, nearby there should beforeign objects;
2. to prevent suffocation, the child should be put to one side.Do not try to hold his tongue;
3. when seizures take place, it is necessary to check whether the child is breathing.If there is no breathing, you need to make your child CPR "mouth to mouth";
4. until the child wakes up, you can not depart from it;
5. the frequent repetition of seizures, as well as maintaining the heavy breathing after the attack the child, call emergency medical care.
Methods for the treatment of epilepsy in children
Modern medicine has gained sufficient experience in dealing with children's epilepsy.Epilepsy patients child doctor may prescribe anti-epileptic drugs.For the treatment of childhood epilepsy Phenobarbital often appointed.The main condition for successful treatment - prolonged use of the drug to the inadmissibility of treatment interruption, even for 1 day.
Modern drugs can effectively prevent the seizure and do not cause side effects.In some cases, the patient is assigned to a child with epilepsy surgery to remove the tumor in the brain that causes epileptic seizures.
advantage of modern methods of treatment of epilepsy in children is their positive impact on the state of the sick child to the preservation and further development of his cognitive abilities.Previously antiepileptic drugs suppressed the childish consciousness, today a child lives a normal life and can make the school better than the rest of their peers.
Quick access to a doctor, accurate diagnosis of the causes of disease, correctly prescribed treatment and full rehabilitation - all of this is a guarantee of complete deliverance from the child's epilepsy.Parents of a child undergoing treatment for epilepsy, must provide your child an interesting partner, to conduct lessons with him to develop sensory skills and strengthening the nervous system.It is very useful to engage with children drawing and manufacture of handicrafts.